For organizations committed to addressing their impact, conserving resources and improving the bottom line through efficient energy management, we developed ISO 50001.
Designed to support organizations in all sectors, this ISO standard provides a practical way to improve energy use, through the development of an energy management system (EnMS).
- Providing a model to follow when setting up and operating a management system, find out more about how MSS work and where they can be applied.
The new ISO 50001 standard for energy management systems can help safeguard our future by making a positive difference in the here and now.
Developing an Energy Management System
ISO 50001 is based on the management system model of continual improvement also used for other well-known standards such as ISO 9001 or ISO 14001. This makes it easier for organizations to integrate energy management into their overall efforts to improve quality and environmental management.
ISO 50001 provides a framework of requirements for organizations to:
- Develop a policy for more efficient use of energy
- Fix targets and objectives to meet the policy
- Use data to better understand and make decisions about energy use
- Measure the results
- Review how well the policy works, and
- Continually improve energy management.
Certification to ISO 50001
Like other ISO management system standards, certification to ISO 50001 is possible but not obligatory. Some organizations decide to implement the standard solely for the benefits it provides. Others decide to get certified to it, to show external parties they have implemented an energy management system. ISO does not perform certification.
Read more about certification to ISO’s management system standards.